Which iPhones are Waterproof?
Let's start off by clearing up the idea that iPhones are waterproof when they are in fact, water-resistant. Now, what's the difference?
- Waterproof implies that a device is completely indestructible by water. That would mean you could go snorkeling with your iPhone for hours and it would be just fine. As it stands, no smartphone is waterproof.
- But the device is actually water-resistant Which means they are designed to withstand liquid contact to a certain extent, but may still be damaged by water under certain conditions. These conditions entail a heavier dose of water or liquid than just your normal spill or rain.
The following devices are water-resistant (not waterproof)
- The following releases—the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X, XR, and the iPhone SE (2nd Generation)—all received an IP67 rating as well.
- The iPhone XS, XS Max, and 11 have an IP68 rating that allows them to resist liquid intrusion at a maximum depth of two meters for up to 30 minutes.
- The iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max have an IP68 rating, with Apple claiming that they can withstand up to four meters of water depth for 30 minutes.
- The iPhone 12 and later are the most water-resistant iPhones Apple has produced so far. Also with IP68 ratings, they can survive being submerged in water as deep as six meters for 30 minutes.
- The iPhone 12, 12 pro, and 12 pro max are water-resistant as well.
What to do when any iPhone gets wet:
- Turn off the iPhone
- Wipe the iPhone with a soft, lint-free cloth
- Hold the iPhone upright and tap it gently to get liquid out of the Lightning port
- Let your iPhone dry out naturally before you try switching it on
We hope you guys found this article helpful. We love to share new information with our fellow iPhone lovers out there :)
Plug, formerly eCommsell, is a leading consumer electronics provider and online retailer that connects people to reliable, renewed devices. The company is based in St. Louis, Mo, and was founded to make it affordable and easy for people to get the most out of their personal technology purchases, helping to reduce unnecessary e-waste. Plug hand tests and certifies every device it sells through its rigorous 90+ point ‘Certified Pre-Owned Assurance’ certification process, providing a one-year warranty and 30-day money back guarantee on all devices sold. Plug is ‘Responsible Recycling’ or ‘R2’ certified, and has helped to prevent over one million working devices from reaching landfills since 2009. Find all of our deals at www.plug.tech or by downloading our mobile app.